Monday, June 17, 2019

Optic Strings - Another U&U Project

I ran across The 100 Day Project last week
and realized it was excellent motivation
for me to work on one of my projects 

I have always loved this quilt 
in Roderick Kiracofe's book.

My version will feature a mix 
of solids and reproduction fabrics.

It will also be smaller than the quilt in the book
with a layout 8 blocks wide x 10 blocks long.

Here is the information on the inspiration quilt.

This photo shows my nearly-final fabric pull . . .

And this is what 80 sets of strips look like
when sorted using my paper plate system.

This is that same group of 80 sets of strips
but shown from a different angle.

I can't wait to get started on this one
which I have named Optic Strings.

* * *

My goal is to make a block a day
during the next 100 days  --
and if I get the blocks done in time,
I will include the layout process
as part of my 100 Day Challenge.

Each Monday I'll share an update post on my blog
with the blocks from the previous week.

Here's to making progress!

Monday, June 3, 2019

Two U&U quilts

Two U&U quilts finished:

Sunshine Scraps for Sujata

The top quilt was random scraps for a class I was teaching on Improv Log Cabins.  I’ve titled it “Still Crazy (About Quilting) After All These Years. 

The bottom quilt is titled “Sunshine Scraps for Sujata” which started out following the quilt Sujata demonstrated for this challenge.  Of course, I veered off course.  I used solids that must have been the original charm pack way back before stores had die cutters and a standard size.  They were approximately 4” sort of square.  Close enough for this project.  The prints were from a mystery box I purchased one from a local quilt store years ago with random leftover block of the month kits.  There was a great variety of fabrics in all sizes, all neat and tidy.  I eliminated the corner quarter triangle squares.  I used simple straight line machine quilting.  Fun and Done!