Monday, December 9, 2019

Overlapping Octagons is finished.

Following Sujata's challenge in January to replicate one of the quilts in the book "Unconventional and Unexpected, American quilts under the radar", by Roderick Kiracofe, I made the Overlapping Octagons.

Instead of continuing with hourglass blocks at the intersections of the octagons as I did for the first few blocks, I took the fabric of the "sashing" further to form the point. The hour glass blocks gave very bulky seams at the corners of the red pieces but now there is less bulk but more Y-seams!

The original quilt was pieced by hand and I think that if I had done that I may have been finished sooner. Slow going as it was I'm glad I persevered; I'm quite comfortable with Y-seams now!

I quilted the red squares with various FMQ designs, and varying degrees of success! In the "sashing" I followed the seam lines to avoid losing the shape of the octagons. In my view that has worked well and they stand out nicely.
fabrics: scraps from stash
measurements: 38" x 44"
pieced with Aurifil 50 wt light grey
quilted with Aurifil 40 wt dark blue, dark red and bright red.
Now I'm going to look into the book again and see which quilt I would like to make next! 

Happy sewing


Tuesday, November 12, 2019

September Maple Leaves....on the wall!

September seemed to call for a Maple Leaf quilt....especially since I had been eyeing the quilts in the "Unconventional & Unexpected" book  by Kiracofe and found one which intrigued me made in PA by an 'unknown quilter'.....more's the pity for there being no signature. I love the new improv quilts but I also like using well-loved traditional quilt patterns and making my own version of those familiar blocks that have been around forever. It feels fitting and proper to add to the quilt story with one's own humble version of the tried and true....a joining up with the sisterhood!

I chose smaller calico-like prints from my stash and dug deeper into my older fabrics. It's always such a pleasure to place an 'older' fabric in a quilt and give it a reason for being! I took my cues from the inspiration quilt (below) but didn't use any stripes or plaids like this quilt maker did. I also did not add that unexpected strip of  bright red on one side. My blocks seemed to call for a softer green border. My quilt is approximately 51 1/2" x 51 1/2". The inspiration quilt is 65" x 68" and notice how there is binding on three sides but not on the fourth! There is definitely a story with that added strip of red but we'll never know! Ah...the mysteries....

I machine quilted it in horizontal wavy lines and pieced a large maple leaf for the backing.

And I didn't forget the signature!

And now the completion of  this Maple Leaf has me eyeing yet another Maple Leaf quilt in another exciting book full of inspiration:  "Signs and Symbols: African Images in African-American Quilts" by Maude Southwell Wahlman.

And I find myself thinking hmmm......

Friday, November 1, 2019

Thirty blocks pinned on the wall for UANDUQAL

Target reached with the blocks and now on to sewing and the
borders on.
A rough photo here I'm afraid, blocks just roughly pinned on the design wall.

I should be back during the week with a finished top - fingers crossed!
Excuse the very, very short post but I have a visitor just arrived.


Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Conundrum - The Quilt

Conundrum is finished!

Measures 30" wide x 42" long

Created using the cut off corners 
from the blocks for Optic Strings.

Layout inspired by the "String Grid" quilt on page 22
of Roderick Kiracofe's Unconventional and Unexpected.

This is my first finish for Sujata's U and U QAL.

Backing is by Keiko Goke ("stripe plaid")

I used the one leftover triangle to create a label.

Quilted with Affinity variegated Rainbow thread
(with Glide Bark in the bobbin)
using my unmarked liberated free motion all-over fans.

And here is where Conundrum will live
for the foreseeable future -
what you see when you first step through
the door to my design studio.

And this is the view as you leave the design studio.

* * *

There are three more UandU quilt tops to be quilted.

Sooner rather than later, I hope.

Friday, September 27, 2019

Optic Strings and Conundrum - Two Flimsies

Optic Strings - the flimsy 

48" x 64"

Inspired by "Aunt Etta's" string quilt on page 135
of Unconventional and Unexpected.

Pieced using Moda solids and reproduction prints.

You can read the complete reveal post on my blog HERE.

Conundrum - the flimsy

30.5" x 42"

Pieced using the corners cut from Optic String's strip sets.

Layout inspired by "String With Grid" on page 22
of Unconventional and Unexpected.

You can read the full reveal post on my blog
by clicking HERE and scrolling down a post or two.

* * *

The U and U QAL has been so interesting.
Thanks, Sujata for posing this challenge!

With four quilt tops waiting to be quilted,
I think I'm "done" with the challenge for now . . . 

Thursday, September 26, 2019

And still the blocks keep on coming for UANDUQAL

I'm slowly moving towards the finish line with my blocks 
"Cross"/Four Patch
with another five shown below.

I'm looking forward to having all 30 blocks on the design wall
and spending time arranging.

It may be next week before I'm at that stage due to a
 bout of tendonitis in my forearm!

I'm having such a lot of fun playing with the colour in these blocks and
intend to spend a little time soon looking for another
inspirational quilt from the U and U book.

More next week - have a happy weekend.

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Yet more blocks for UANDUQAL

Yes folks,  a few more blocks from me and only 12 more
needed to meet my target of 30.

Can't wait to get all these up on the design wall, play with
placement and begin sewing rows.

There's a bit of mix here, murky colours and two somewhat lighter in colour
with one being definitely bright with that zigzag outer border.

Must hurry now and cut more fabric!!