Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Overlapping Octagon - how to draft your own pattern

Last night I decided it was finally time to give this quilt a go. There are other things happening simultaneously in the dining room so I may not be as fast as some of you are working. More I saw the images on instagram and your posts on here, I wanted toss whatever is required off to the side and dip my feet in as well.

I really want that scrappy, unplanned look, where octagon corners are mysteriously do appearing and disappearing act. So original quilt was pieced was the way to go. Yes, with Y seams.


This is all I have made so far. One block - not even! I am not sure if the colors are my favorite but it was good to try a sample of the block.

Here is how to draft your own paper pattern. Sorry for the poor quality of this picture.

  • Draw a rectangle 2" X 4" with 2" X 2" squares on either end. 
  • Draw diagonal lines from corner to corner withing both squares.
  • The shape with darker line is the pattern needed for the octagon. 
I also cut 4" X 11" paper from the phone book. Basically split the pages vertically in halves.

Use these as paper foundation piece for your scraps and string. You want to start laying first piece of scrap right side up. Then place the next piece right side down. sew the seam. Press open the second piece. Continue with third and fourth.



 Place the template to see if you have enough length to trim the shape..


I cleaned up the edges before trimming the shape.





Using this template, add 1/4" seam allowance when rimming the string pieced



Here is the example of adding 1/4" seam allowance. 




I chose to make my blocks larger as I really want to make many quilts from this book.

Here is the difference in size of the templates between 8" and 12" finished block.

I think I made the smart decision. Too many Y seams at short distance to consider before choosing the final size of the block.


I hope this helps.

Happy Quilting!

8 comments:

  1. This is going to be amazing! Can't wait for more blocks to appear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It will be a slow go but I am excited!

      Delete
  2. Very happy to read the news that you want to make many from this book Sujata - so do I!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I think I am excited to explore old quilts all over again and see where it leads.

      Delete
  3. Oh, yes. I like this much more with the lozenge shape rather than posting with hourglasses. It give the fabrics more room to show themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the Y seams. I have done them before and this gives me a chance to design the quilt as I go along.

      Delete
  4. Visually I prefer this construction to that with hourglass blocks but I always have a problem with Y-seams. I'll start again trying this way, and see how much of the old construction I can salvage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like this idea. When you enlarged the pattern, did you increase the width?

    ReplyDelete