Friday, January 25, 2019

Three version

I've done 3 versions and I'm really struggling to like any of them. 

I upsized the block so made my cuts 5 1/2 for the square, 5 1/2 x 3 for rectangle and 3x3 for corner stones.  Plus, one of my goals for 2019 is to work smaller so I only made them table topper/wall hanging size.

I tried improv-style quarter square triangles, half-square triangles and then just solid fabric corner stones.

My third version flips the string piecing to the center squares with solid fabric on the sides.

The second option also included more focused fabric selection for the center squares (all a shade of caramel).

My quilting mojo seems to be missing right now - I'm sorta in a funk about quilting in general - so I'm not surprised that I'm struggling.

For now, although I had 2 more ideas for this, I think I'll go back to U&U and find another quilt idea to play with.

I must say, I'm really enjoying watching all of you and your creations!  There was one on IG that I really liked - I think it also had red in it.


4 comments:

  1. I lost my mojo a while back (can't remember how long ago.) Now the quilting bug has bit me and I'm having all kinds of finishes. I decided to make a list and work on one thing until it was finished good or bad. Once the finishes came, they just keep coming. It's okay. It will come back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see some octagon happening in first and second version. I think the original quilt has scattered dark and light blocks. By being dispersed all over the quilt top, they allow each other some space. What I see here is dark and light values are uniformly spread out. May be you want to make some light and some dark blocks and see if that helps. Just a thought. Finding another quilt is altogether a good idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how simple variations change the look of the top. Love all the shades of brown you have. Sujata’s idea to make some areas lighter and others darker sounds good. I also think making octagons rather than using the HSTs and QSTs keeps the design flowing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it just so frustrating when we stall with a project. I tend to wait a few days and then go back to it and quite often inspiration comes back into play.

    ReplyDelete