Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Duet #2: Nolia and Me

Here is the second quilt that I deconstructed and resewed from tops that I rescued from my sister's bonfire during her backyard shed-cleaning binge last year. My sister had received her mother-in-law Nolia's (b.1921 - d.2010) pieced tops and simply didn't know what to do with them since she doesn't sew. Still don't know why she didn't immediately think of me because she well knows I am a passionate quilter.....but anyhow, I took it as my mission to honor this veteran quilter by turning her tops into completed and loved quilts.



As I mentioned in an earlier post, Nolia grew up in southern Louisiana without any benefits of education...not even grade school. She married and had two sons (one of them married to my sister) and was a devout Catholic all her life. She had a simple sewing machine but she couldn't figure out how to use it so she hand-pieced ALL her quilts. And she used anything and everything she had on hand or could purchase from her local Ben Franklin store.

Close-ups of resewn and quilted blocks.......



Nolia also used all kind of fabrics from linings to flannels to double knit and lightweight polyesters......to cafe curtains....you name it, Nolia pieced it into her quilt tops! And this was why I had to deconstruct her tops and replace many of her fabrics with my own cottons because quilting all these different weights of fabric was just too difficult for me. 

Here is the original top before any changes were made.........Nolia used a lot of very light-weight blue gingham in this top and bordered two sides with two lengths of a kitchen cafe curtain. All of her tops are variations of the "housetop" block....a block often used by the Gee's Bend Quilters as well.


Here is a look at the back of the original top - Nolia used the front of a polyester dress with buttonholes next to light-weight gingham......also uneven seams. In order to use the blue gingham, I used quilt spray and fused another light-weight white fabric onto the back to give it more weight and heft. This worked perfectly!



Polyester dress piece still containing darts...... 


Cabbage Patch centers and fabric with facings irregularly attached
 

Slippery polyester!
 

Extra fabric simply folded back to fit
 
Some of the fabrics deleted from the original top - those Cabbage Patch centers really had to go!

Fabrics Added

I tried various options for bordering the top but eventually came back to the original cafe curtain fabric. Since it was so light-weight, I fused a light-weight white cotton onto the back of the curtain panels and sliced each piece in half in order to make it reach all around the top. I think the striped binding also added an interesting finish to this reconstructed top and finishing it with simple straight-line machine quilting made this piece something I can finally live happily with!

~Edith

19 comments:

  1. I love this and I agree the striped binding adds an interesting finish and pulls it all together nicely. The straight line quilting is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I initially felt really iffy about the cafe curtain border (and tried several other options) but when I saw how well the red striped binding helped, I felt better!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations for your second finish! I think it is wonderful what you are doing for these tops! Do you have others to finish? Looking forward seeing them! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've already finished a third one - my Opus since it's SO big and made out of combining two tops....I'll show that one next. Then I still have two more tops that are not so exciting in color...not sure if I'll redo those or not.

      Delete
  3. I’m impressed you undertook this, deconstruction & all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tops were interesting enough and I wanted to honor Nolia's efforts and also show my sister what latent treasures she had been about to destroy....plus I had recently become enthralled with the Gee's Bend quilts and felt I had something akin to them in my own little hands!

      Delete
  4. What a labor of love - and what awesome results. I'm so glad you're sharing these with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so happy to share them with people who appreciate them.

      Delete
  5. A wonderful result, I love it! Gingham is such a favourite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love gingham too although this particular gingham was SO thin you could nearly see through it. But spray basting a backing on it gave it the 'body' it needed...a technique that I used on various of the thin fabrics that Nolia used.

      Delete
  6. Goodness, you have worked miracles with this quilt! You reconstructed version is another beauty, thank you for showing the mix of fabrics used in the original quilt, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I enjoy seeing 'process' and I figured there are others out there just like me!

      Delete
  7. Edith, You gave this quilt so much love! Your sister might have thought it was a lot of work. Which it was but sometimes a non quilter does not understand how us quilters never look at quilt making as "work"
    I enjoyed looking at the close up of all various fabrics. You did an amazing job putting it all back together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sujata. You are so right about it not being 'work' in any negative sense! It was a meditative process and challenge that was about creating something beautiful out of what was on hand....plus I felt that I was experiencing firsthand some lessons from a natural quilter from another time and place and I loved that learning process.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for describing this amazing project/opportunity in such great detail for our inspiration - I wonder what you sister thinks now about the "rescue"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has been amazed at what I have made from these tops and she has requested that I make a big queen size quilt for her and her husband from two of the most colorful tops that she was still holding....she sent them to me and I have since made a very large quilt for her which I will post soon! So yes, since she does not sew, she had NO idea what could be done with those tops and has been absolutely amazed!

      Delete
  9. Great transformation! I hope you can put one of the cabbage patch pieces on the back for a label.

    ReplyDelete