Monday, April 29, 2019

"Scrappy Spring" finished!

This "Scrappy Spring" top pieced in April 2019 has been machine-quilted and bound all in the same month.....I'm being a busy beaver trying to finish up some projects before I launch into new starts.

I quilted evenly spaced straight vertical lines one inch apart. Finished size of quilt is 55 1/4" x 62 3/4". I'm telling myself to make quilts that I may want to hang on my walls a bit smaller from now on because my latest pieces take up too much room for the wall space that I have.

Thank goodness I had enough of the purple/plum solid fabric for the binding.

Spring feels yellow and purple and white to me because of the forsythia, daffodils, grape hyacinths, violets, and lilacs that bloom in my yard.

And.....there's the RED in my two-year-old Japanese Bloodgood tree!



Sunday, April 7, 2019

Scrappy Spring!

Over the past four days this has formed up on the design wall.....

It began with two blocks lying small nine-patch block hand-pieced many many years ago by my then young daughter....

and this stray log cabin just lying all ended up to be 56" x 63".

Other pieces lying about from the most recent tops found their way in and then the large scale border fabric joined it all together. There are fabrics from secondhand used clothing in here....fabrics from clothes I sewed for myself and my daughters more than a dozen years ago....mixed with my stash.

It feels good to get more of my scraps into a completed top!

Thursday, April 4, 2019

A Bit of Progress

After many, many days of working/playing 
with small pieces of purples, greens, and grays,
I needed a change of pace color-wise.

Time to pull out my Not a Mystery project.

I pieced ten more center string/strip sets
and trimmed them to 4.5" wide before
adding 1.5" red batik strips to the sides.

(this process was inspired by Teresa Rawson's

The red, green, blue, and orange segments
 in the project box are wider and I am using those
for the ends of the strip/string sets to avoid
too-small pieces in the block corners.

(I re-discovered them when I pulled out
the box to get my red batik strips - after
I had pieced these ten center sections)

Eighteen blocks done.

Seventeen more to go.

(original plan was for a layout
5 wide x 7 long with 10" finished blocks --
but I'm also thinking about a minor adjustment to that plan)

Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Duet OPUS: Nolia and Me

The third quilt made from hand-pieced tops given to me by my sister who had them on her ‘burn pile’ during a cleaning frenzy until I intercepted that disastrous plan and asked her to send them to this one which I call “Duet Opus: Nolia and Me.”

After my sister saw the first two quilts I made from her deceased mother-in-law's tops, she asked me to make her and her husband a big one for their queen bed. I was happy to do this and she sent me two other colorful tops that she had hung onto after I encouraged her to throw NONE of these tops away.

This big quilt - about 96 x 96 inches -  is made from these two original tops.....

As usual, I de-constructed the most colorful and interesting blocks....discarding fabrics that were too slippery, heavy, thin, or otherwise undesirable.....and added in fabrics from my own collection. You will notice the big patches of solid patches on the left in the first top ....also the bedspread strip at the bottom.....and there are two blocks  with 'cheater fabric' in the second top.

I decided to use the tropical floral borders on the top and bottom of the second top as a unifying element and intersperse it throughout the many blocks of the final top.
After organizing and re-piecing blocks from both tops, I found I still needed a bit more length on one end so I pieced a row of eight smaller log cabin blocks from mostly my own fabrics.

I machine quilted this top in two half pieces and one smaller piece containing the end blocks -  simple straight lines with the help of masking tape - and then I joined them in the middle, cutting away excess batting and fabric and hand stitching the backing 'join’ together....then finishing the front with the straight quilting lines. Worked like a charm although it took some effort to manipulate this heavy piece through my simple domestic machine. Where there’s a will, there’s a way! I decided I was going to be the boss of this thing!

Pin basting on the kitchen table.... 

Machine quilted in straight lines in two separate pieces.....

My trusty Husqvarna Viking machine.......

Here are a few shots of the individual blocks...


Orange double knit in this block....

Red double knit fabric in this block.....

 Sharing the quilt with my aunts...

And here is sweet Nolia (1921-2010) at age 77...the hand piecer of the original tops....a woman whom I have never met but with whom I feel a warm kinship and connection because I have had  the privilege to work with her fabrics and colors....she certainly had an eye for the joy and beauty in color and she has blessed me richly.