Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Overlapping Octagons and Y-seams

For the UandUQAL organised by Sujata Shah I am reproducing the Overlapping Octagons quilt from Roderick Kirakofe's book, "Unconventional and Unexpected". I haven't done much to it over the last few months; this is the present state of this lap quilt.

I have made octagons with red centres surrounded by predominantly dark blue strings.  With this choice I aimed to use up most of my blue and red Civil War reproduction fabrics, and with the red I succeeded and have added more modern reds, but the blue were all so dark I soon started introducing flashes of other colours.

At present they're not overlapping, but I have more red squares cut, and here I've positioned them where red squares will go in the final design.

I am pleased that the overlapping octagons have now emerged.

The octagon blocks have Y-seams at each corner, and inserting the second set of red centre blocks will involve more Y-seams. I wasn't happy about this at the beginning, and so tried making hourglass blocks in the corners, as shown here:

This is one of two hourglass blocks I retained, before I gave up on them. At each of  the corners of this hourglass block five fabrics come together making very bulky seams which I couldn't get to lie flat.

Doing Y-seams, however, means joining only three, which will lie much more easily, especially if the last string in the side panel continues into the corner triangle, as here below.

Sorry about the fuzziness!
In this corner above, one of the four string sets ends in a separate triangle; this is one of the string sets I originally joined to an hourglass block. I rejected that method because of the lack of continuity between the string set and its triangular ending as well as the bulkiness of the join.

There was only one thing for it: Y-seams. I dreaded the thought! Now I'm becoming an expert! Practice makes perfect, they say, and I've had a lot of practice! The secret lies in:
  1. starting sewing the seam at the opposite end to the Y-join,
  2. stopping two stitches before the point of the join and backtracking a couple of stitches. That unsewn space gives you some room to manoeuvre.
  3. starting each seam four stitch lengths further than the join, stitching back two stitches to fix the seam and then stitching the seam further until two stitch lengths before the point and backtracking two to fix the seam.
The mistake I made when I first tried Y-seams was to start at the point where everything came together. It's very crowded there! Much easier to keep your distance from everyone else at the party. Approach slowly and stand still when you're close enough. After following a tutorial from Mary Huey on sewing tumbling blocks, it was plain sailing for me! Mary illustrates the process with lots of excellent, clear photos.

Happy sewing

Marly.

12 comments:

  1. You done a terrific job mixing older reproductions with newer fabrics. I like the dark navies of reproductions but also find them "heavy" so your mix of other colors delights. Y-seams are a bit time consuming but not difficult. I follow almost the same method you outlined here. Thanks for sharing your beauty and your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann. I'd be interested to read how you do Y-seams. i really am a novice!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Ann! You have done an amazing job with the mix of fabrics. I also think the Y seams are not hard at all, just slower. Instead of straight seams it is a stop and go kind of process. Your use of various red fabrics is fun! I am excited to see this evolve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sujata. I agree that Y-seams aren't hard; it's just a question of understanding and then remembering the sequence. Trial and error is the best learning method. I enjoy a challenge, and don't mind this one moving slowly ... yet!

      Delete
  3. Ahh - you did post it here as well (I found this first on the AHIQ blog).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes; I posted all over the place! For some reason none of these comments came through in my email.

      Delete
  4. This is quite a happy piece! I particularly like the spring green and yellow fabrics mixed in with your blues. Your octagons overlap beautifully! You have made wonderful progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The first string sets were so dark I unpicked them in the middle and finished the halves with some brighter pieces. Live and learn!

      Delete
  5. Such a lovely way to mix the old with the new, I love it! And adding in a few more colours to your dark blue strips was a great way to 'lift' the overall look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda; "You're never too old to learn" (It's me that's old - not you!!)

      Delete
  6. Definitely well worth the trial of Y seams, it's looking so good. Liking all the different reds you have for the centre squares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maureen. I'm progressing slowly and, I hope, surely! Thank you too for alerting me to these comments as none came in my email.

      Delete