Friday, December 17, 2021
Friday, July 16, 2021
I don't even remember when was the last time I posted here. But lately I am working on a quilt that is so appropriate for this blog, I had to post a few process pictures and talk about the process and its progress.
First version of this quilt I made was in 2009 or something like that. My husband's niece had a baby and so I decided to give that one to her. Ever since then, I had thought of making another one but never got around starting one until about two or three weeks ago when I was working on a sample block for a workshop I was going to teach at a guild in Seattle.
I wrote the pattern a while back and that prompted me to make another version for myself.
I chose the colors I hadn't worked with in a while. It has been ages since I have bought new fabrics. I am sticking to my use what you have rule. It kind of feels good to use the stash.
So here is how it went. I just got a stack of brown and orange fabrics out. Selected a few based on their textures and value.
I already was unhappy where I was headed with these colors but that day I made a few crazy blocks.
That night I went to bed thinking I will start over the next day. I absolutely disliked the colors. The design wall looked too much like Halloween. The next day, I woke up, went back to the sewing room and decided to make at least one basket to go on the background. This was pretty challenging because I was already frustrated with the background, how was I going to over come that?
I thought lighter value of basket fabrics will be perfect. Considering the seasonal aspect was already decided as soon as I chose the background, I didn't have much choice but to stick with fall colors.
Okay, this could work, I thought.
The original quilt had all plaids and stripes for the background. They sort of blend into each other and made a crazy but soft background. This one right here, started looking like a mosaic. I was struggling with really crazy, busy background. Still, I continued on. Once I started appliqueing the handle on the basket, I suddenly calmed down. I could hear my voice saying, this might just work.
All I had to do was to continue. More I stared at the design wall, clearer my thought process became, the next few steps became easier.
I actually got excited about setting the baskets, adding the spark and
on and on it went. I have spent most of my day today in the sewing room.
This is where I am right now. I know what I will be doing this weekend. I hope to work as best as I can to complete this quilt top. It is very likely, I will finish it with machine quilting. Entire quilt is too busy for me to finish it by hand. I will be sure to come back and post the final results.
Have a great weekend you all!
Tuesday, July 13, 2021
|Improv 'Half Square Triangles and Broken Dishes'|
|'Orange X Squares Medallion Quilt', my design.|