Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Overlapping Octagons

As I haven't posted here for some time I thought an update on my Overlapping Octagons was due.  This is the last photo of my Overlapping Octagons before the final Y-seams to bring it all together.


This has certainly been a challenge. The challenge is not yet over! Because a photo is flat it's difficult to show how the triangle sections between four red squares are refusing to lie flat.

bubbly triangles!
I have re-sewn some of the seams in the bubbly triangles; the rest I'll try to tame by hand when I finish joining all the columns. I think I probably have more control over the fabric when hand sewing.

Much as I like the effect of the vertical white fissures in the first photo, they are not a design feature; my next task is to join columns 1 and 2, and then to join that section to columns 3 and 4. Lastly I'll be joining the seams between columns 4 and 5. Somewhere along the line I see I need to add a couple of small triangles in the edges, and to add triangles to three of the four corners. I haven't yet decided whether or not this quilt is calling for a border. What do you think?

Happy sewing

Marly.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I really like this! There is so much to see and my eye just keeps roving around all your interesting fabrics! It's wonderfully scrappy and makes me want to see all your blocks close-up. I don't think it needs any other border....it's a great interpretation of the UANDUQAL quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'll try to remember to take a lot of photos for the next post.

      Delete
  2. You might consider omitting the triangles in the four corners. This would emphasize the octagon shapes. I also think this does not need a border.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I still haven't added the corners and the emphasis on the octagons was my reason for possibly omitting them. But ... that means I have to make bias binding, not my favourite occupation! I probably will do so though; it can't be too difficult!

      Delete
  3. No border needed -- and as far as the bubbling triangle joins, remember that the original quilt shown in U and U may also have been less than perfectly flat (full frontal photos rarely show changes in elevation across the top). Do the best you can and try not to stress "too" much. Love your interpretation!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is looking really good. I still need to finish mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Julie. I won't be adding a border. This is a good lap size as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. whew! Better you than me! I'd be tearing my hair out.

    ReplyDelete