Monday, July 8, 2019

Spring Housetop - a Gee's Bend Inspired quilt!

Ever since I’ve immersed myself in Gee’s Bend quilts, I have LOVED the housetop block which these quilters use liberally in their quilt making. They come in all sizes in their quilts and it seems to be a common ‘go to’ block for them.

This past April I began piecing simple 19-inch housetop blocks. They didn’t really turn out to look like Gee’s Bend blocks because I used mostly prints - which is predominantly what I have in my stash......although lately I have been trying to add more solids to my quilts because I’ve noticed so many of the quilts which I like have solids in them! I call it “Spring Housetop”.


In this quilt is fabric from some of my other quilts, fabric from a dress I sewed for myself years ago, dresses I sewed for my two daughters many years ago, and simply stash. There is also a thrift shop cotton shower curtain fabric in there!


In process on the wall....actually the center fabric in two of these blocks got weeded out in the final edit....the black in the upper right corner read too dark....and I can't remember why the utensils didn't make the cut!

The fabric in one block was too thin so I backed it with another fabric to give it bulk....

Here are some of the blocks before being quilted.....the lily fabric is left over from an apron I made my mother years ago.....the two tone purple print is from binding on another quilt. I really like it when the same fabric shows up in several of my quilts.....it makes the quilts seem like sisters...like they're related and connected by a common thread. Ha! One big happy quilt family!




The daisies on the navy background (below) is fabric that I used with a smaller size daisy print in the same colors to make dresses for my two daughters years ago.....so that reminds me of them! And the turquoise with purple circles is from shorts that my son wore when little. Okay, enough with walking down memory lane!


I like that it sewed up very fast with such big pieces and I sent it to My Long Arm Quilting Service in New York for a Baptist fan quilting treatment. Just got it back recently, sewed the binding on, and called it finished! (Still have to do a label.)



One more quilt on the stack!
Happy Piecing!

~Edith Yoder Schmitt


16 comments:

  1. Oh yum! Lovely; a cheerful breeze. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quilt Edith! the size of the blocks show of your beautiful selection of prints, the centre with the lily left over from the apron is delightful. Congratulations on a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maureen! I felt the same way about the large blocks....it allowed me to showcase some of my more striking fabrics and it was fun to let them show off!

      Delete
  3. It is gorgeous! I love the whole thing: the colours, the mix of fabric, everything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you....it was fun working to make all the disparate prints and colors work together. Kind of like life, right?

      Delete
  4. This is a great quilt - all those wonderful memories are stitched into the quilt, and the pieces are big enough to let each fabric shine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working 'big' was freeing and yes, I loved letting each fabric have it's time in the limelight!

      Delete
  5. Absolutely wonderful -- and a very enjoyable post about it, too. LOVE this quilt top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A happy quilt! I love the definition the inside black border provides. Good photos of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun! A bright mix of prints, colors, and genres.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really great mix of fabric prints! Looks a little vintage.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. crazy wonderful piecing! Great balance and line! Leeanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! It's so fresh and sunny! What fun to include all those fabrics from the past, sewing the memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I LOVE sticking even a small piece of fabric from the past in my scrap quilts because yes, it immediately conjures up many memories!

      Delete